Idiom Quiz for Kids
Are you looking to offer your students some fun with English idioms? Test their knowledge with this quiz:
1. Your teacher thinks that you and your classmates are ❛full of beans❜. What does she mean?
a) you are full of energy and enthusiasm
b) you are not working hard enough
c) you have had a big lunch - yes, lots of beans!
d) you are very clever
2. If you are ❛actively involved in an activity❜ at school, your teacher might say that you are...
a) as busy as a fly
b) as busy as a spider
c) as busy as a bee
d) as busy as a grasshopper
3. Students who ❛are all ears❜....
a) have big ears
b) love q-tips
c) are listening carefully
d) are dreaming
4. To wish you good luck before performing in your school play, your teacher tells you to...
a) break an arm
b) break an ankle
c) break a shoulder
d9 break a leg
5. What or who is a ❛couch potato❜?
a) a variety of potato
b) a piece of furniture
c) another word for ❛onion❜
d) someone who is lazy
6. For years, people have been telling you to use ❛the magic word❜. What exactly is that word?
7. If a friend of yours says that you are ❛cool as a cucumber❜, he is saying that you are...
d) a fruit (or vegetable?)
8. When a friend ❛crosses her fingers❜ for you, she ...
a) hopes that things will turn out just as you hope they will
b) is wishing you bad luck
c) hopes that you will go away
d) is not telling the truth
9. When your teacher tells you to ❛put your thinking cap on, he is telling you...
a) to put a hat on - it’s cold outside!
b) to brush your hair
c) to concentrate and think about something
d) to work harder
10. If someone says ❛All that glitters is not gold❜, he means...
a) money is not everything
b) not everything that looks good really is good
c) be happy with what you have
d) gold is not beautiful
Find the answers here.
Find a great follow-up exercise here.
More Idiom Quizzes:
Animal Idiom Quiz
See what kids can do when they combine English idioms and art in the following video on the Kids’ English Idiom Art Contest 2012: